Search This Blog

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Wine Club Dip




This is my favorite dip.  Granted, I pretty much love all dips, but this one combines several of my favorites: 1. It is a dip.  2. CHEESE  3. Olives.  What is not to love?  And I have to admit; it is always a hit when I bring it to a party.  With the holiday season upon us I thought you might find use for it too.  Although it really is a year-round dip.







I came across it in a 'wine club' I was a part of when I lived in San Francisco.  It rotated to different peoples apartments and lasted maybe three months.  Or, who knows, maybe it still exists.  Amongst all the appetizers at the first inaugural get together was this dip.  And all other appetizers were pretty much ignored in its presence.  None of us could figure out what it was.  The hostess let us know her mom had given her the recipe and briefly described what was in it and promised to email it to us all.  It was never emailed.  And I couldn't live without it.  So I made an attempt... And it turned out.  It would be interesting to compare it to the 'original' but I think this one is pretty good anyway.  Even my olive-hating friends love it!  Give it a try, it will promise to be a hit at your next holiday party.  



Trish's Tips:  Try it first based on the recipe, but then adapt how you like it and add more cheese, more olives or more onions.  Also, add the dressing bit by bit.  You may not need all of it depending on how much brine comes along with the olives.  The mixture should be wet and sticky but not drippy when you scoop some on a cracker.  Pretty much any cracker will do.  I would steer more towards the wheat thin type than the triscuit type.  They can leave little shards in the dip.

Wine Club Dip

Ingredients:
8 oz Gruyere Cheese, Shredded
2 oz Drained Green Olives with Pimentos, minced (about 1/4 cup, minced)
3 Green Onions, minced (About 3 TBL minced)
2 TBL Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 TBL Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard

Shred gruyere.  Mince Green Olives & Green Onions.  Add all three in medium sized bowl.  In a separate bowl whisk together vinegar, oil and mustard.  Pour dressing in and mix.  Serve at cold or room temperature with crackers.

2 comments:

  1. hmmm, I might make this one for this evening too. Seeing it is your favorite and all...... I'll report back. Happy New Year Disha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, I made it for my mom and we loved it! I knew I loved all the ingredients (and how can anything with Guyere be bad) but it seemed like a weird combination...turns out, it is the perfect combination. We ate the whole batch, ok Scot helped, but still...eeek!

    ReplyDelete