Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Edamame Hummus




Based on the fact that I told you I make my other hummus recipe about once a week, you can already tell how much I love hummus.  And I'm always a sucker for dips too.  So I was obviously drawn to this recipe when I found it in one of my cookbooks.  I discovered it a while ago and it is now a staple in our house.




It's an Ellie Krieger recipe so is definitely on the healthy side, and despite the time of year I have been erring on the side of healthy recipes.  It may have something to do with the fact that I ordered the bridesmaid dress for my sisters wedding one size smaller than they recommended.  You know, as motivation.  Well it does fit, but now I'm forced to stay fitting in it.  I particularly like this recipe because it has a lot of protein in it too from both the edamame and the tofu.  I like to have a little snack in the fridge that I don't feel guilty for eating.  Oh and it is really good.




Don't let all this 'healthy' talk turn you off though.  For those of you with a tofu-aversion, this is the perfect way to 'try' tofu.  It really just adds a creaminess factor and no real other flavor, because that's how tofu is; it just picks up the flavor of whatever else is there.  Give it a shot.  The Spiced Pita Chips alone are worth it.




Trish's Tips:
If you haven't made tofu before, you may not know what it means when it says "drained".  It means remove it from the water that it comes in and press it to remove some of the water.  I usually do this by slicing it lengthwise and then place a towel under it and on top of it and place something heavy on top for 15-20 minutes to get the water out.  The spiced pita chips are delicious, but feel free to serve with just plain pita bread or store bought pita chips.

Edamame Hummus 

Ingredients:
2 Cups Frozen Shelled Edamame, cooked according to package directions
8 oz silken tofu, drained and cut into large dice
1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
1/8 tsp white pepper (may omit)
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

Directions:
Place the cooked edamame, tofu, salt, pepper, cumin, garlic and lemon juice in a food processor and process until smooth.  Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while the processor is on.  Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.  When making the pitas I find it's easiest to use a pizza cutter rather than a knife to cut.  You could also cook them without slicing and then just break the rounds into rustic looking large pieces.  I've done this for ease of use alone.

Spiced Pita Chips

Ingredients:
1/4 C olive oil
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
4 whole-wheat pita breads torn in half lengthwise to yield 8 rounds.

Preheat the oven to 375.  Combine the spices in a large bowl.  Brush the pitas with olive oil on the smoother side.  Sprinkle the pitas with spice mixture then slice into wedges.  Bake until the pitas are brown and crisp about 15-17 minutes.  Let cool completely before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment