Search This Blog

Monday, December 7, 2009

Brussels Sprouts




Okay, hear me out you brussels sprout haters.  This recipe is good.  Obviously, or you wouldn't see it on here.  Okay I'm being a bit cocky, but it's not like I wrote the recipe.  I just happen to have a talent at picking out good ones.  It was the full page photograph in Bon Appetit that sold me.  I don't think I had ever made brussels sprouts before I made this recipe.  Probably because they do have a bad rap.  I think it's because whenever people cook them they tend to overcook and they get mushy.  That and they can smell kind of weird.  But so do numerous cheeses and that's not going to keep me away.


I'm all for roasted brussels sprouts and those sauteed with bacon and what not, but I like that this one is so light.  The reason it is, is partly because of the lemon juice and the lack of bacon, but also because of how they are prepared.  You carefully peel the leaves off of each teeny tiny mini cabbage and then quickly saute which makes it light and fresh and perfectly in-season.



I will admit, this recipe is a bit time-consuming.  Not in terms of cooking time, but in terms of prepping.  And it's not like it takes an hour or something, just that depending on how big your brussels sprouts are, it could take a while to peel.  However, they are a snap to cook.  So in that sense, they are great for entertaining since you could prep in advance then just quickly saute.  So give this one a shot.  They won't smell, I promise.


Trish's Tips:  Please, please, please do not overcook.  It literally should take only a couple of minutes.  The leaves should look bright and plump and not wilted and tired.

Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Lemon & Pistachios
Adapted from Bon Appetit - February 2008

Ingredients:
2 TBL Canola Oil
1 TBL minced shallot
12 large brussels sprouts (about 1 1/2 lbs), trimmed, leaves separated from cores, cores discarded
1/4 cup shelled pistachios
2 TBL fresh lemon juice
Salt & Pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add shallot and stir 20 seconds.  Add brussels sprout leaves and pistachios and saute until leaves begin to soften but are still bright green, about 2-3 minutes.  Drizzle lemon juice over.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Transfer to bowl and serve.

1 comment:

  1. To die for!! Tim said he would NEVER eat Brussel sprouts and he has been transformed! The onion rather than the shallot worked out just fine! They were awesome! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete