Search This Blog

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Panang Tofu Curry





Okay okay, I know I'm throwing two tofu recipes at you at once.  First of all let me just get you to keep reading by telling you that you could substitute chicken or beef.  But seriously, try the tofu with it.  Maybe you frequently order tofu at a restaurant, but aren't sure how to make it.  I have several friends who feel that way too and I'm not sure at what point I made the switch and started making it at home, but I now make it at least a one night a week.




And this recipe really is the perfect combination for me because I love to make just one recipe that includes my protein and vegetable and this is all in one.   And I am a huge HUGE curry fan.  In fact, one potential name for my blog was 'my kitchen smells like curry', because mine often does.  The smell certainly lingers, but it is worth it.   Plus there are MANY health benefits to curry, specifically turmeric.  Alright, I know I'm on a health kick right now, but I promise that this isn't a 'healthy' blog, so don't make it for any of these reasons.  Make it because it is delicious, and different and when you are sick of the ho hum recipes that you always make, then throw in an ethnic flare.  It's spicy and rich and maybe will be your new version of comfort food.





Trish's Tips:  Draining the tofu is imperative in order for it to brown.  I slice mine in half horizontally then place on a cutting board and wrap a towel below it and on top.  Then place something heavy on top.  A stockpot filled with water will do just fine.  Drain for at least 15 minutes.  If you don't do this, the tofu would still be good but just won't have a crisp edge.  In fact the original recipe doesn't call to sauté the tofu separately but I like the texture of sautéed tofu better, but it's up to you!  Serve over brown rice.







Panang Tofu Curry
Adapted from Bon Appetit February 2009

Ingredients:
Canola Oil for sauteing tofu and shallots
1/2 Cup finely chopped shallots
2 TBL finely grated peeled ginger
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/4 cup peanut butter (I use all-natural)
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp hot chili paste (such as sambal oelek)
1 cup water
1 - 14 oz can light organic milk
3 TBL fresh lime juice (About 1 1/2 limes worth)
1 1/2 tsp finely grated lime zest (About 1 1/2 limes worth)
1 - 16 oz package firm or extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 cup carrots, peeled and cut into strips
2 large red bell peppers, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
Salt to taste

Directions:

Heat oil over medium-high heat and sauté tofu until you reach a golden brown color.  Heat a separate pan over medium-high heat as well.  Add 1 to 2 TBL oil and sauté shallots, ginger and garlic; cook until shallots are tender, about 6 minutes.  Add peanut butter, turmeric, cumin and chili paste.  Stir until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.  Whisk in 1 cup water, then coconut milk, lime juice, lime zest and brown sugar.  Bring to simmer and season with salt.  Add tofu, carrots and bell pepper.  Simmer over medium heat until carrots are tender, adjusting heat to medium-low if beginning to boil and occasionally stirring gently, about 20 minutes.  Season to taste with salt.  Serve over Brown Rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment