Search This Blog

Friday, December 4, 2009

Guacamole Salad



I haven't always loved guacamole.  I think that living in California turned me on to it, probably because it was so fresh.  Day old, or even hours old, guacamole just isn't the same.  The guacamole that I learned to love bared no resemblance to the stuff that comes out of a gun at Taco Bell.  I always passed on that.  But before I get you too fired up about a guacamole recipe and you add tortilla chips to your grocery list, I should tell you that this isn't a guacamole recipe.  It's a salad recipe.  I know, such a turn off right?  Well, not really.


Someone else I 'know' must love guacamole as much as I do since she translated it into a salad.  Ina Garten, that is.  Known around my house as "Barefoot" and if you don't know why that is, then you really need to start watching more food network!


I have to admit that I can easily eat at least an avocado's worth of guacamole, which isn't exactly the healthiest side dish or appetizer, good fat or not.  So when I saw this recipe, I figured I would love it.  It's basically a deconstructed guacamole with some beans and bell peppers added.  And we are big black bean fans in our house.  Plus anything with cayenne is usually a hit for me as well.  It is now a staple side dish anytime we make Mexican and a good way to add in your veggies.  I promise, you might not even miss the chips!




Trish's Tips:  As you may have guessed from my previous blog posts I like some heat.  If you do not, take it easy on the jalapeno and cayenne.  Or at the very least leave out the seeds to the jalapeno.  The red onion can be a bit sharp for me sometimes so I decreased the amount, if you love it add more.  Sometimes I will soak it in some cold water for a few minutes to take the edge off.  Leftovers will keep, other than the avocado, so if you are only cooking for two as I often do, then make the whole salad (minus the avocado) pack up half, then add one avocado and wait to chop up the other for the leftovers.

Guacamole Salad
Adapted from Ina Garten
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1 yellow pepper, seeded and cut into large dice
1 red pepper, seeded and cut into large dice
1 - 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup red onion, diced
2 TBL minced jalapeno peppers, (about 2)
1/2 tsp freshly grated lime zest
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (don't even try with the bottled stuff)
2 TBL Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 ripe Hass avocados, seeded, peeled and cut into large dice

Directions:
Place the tomatoes, yellow pepper, red pepper, black beans, red onion, jalapeno peppers, lime zest and cilantro in a large bowl.  Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper.  Pour dressing over vegetables and beans.  Toss well.

Just before you're ready to serve the salad, fold the avocados in.  Check the seasoning and serve at room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. This is my FAV, LoVe iT, I've made in 4 times already! I am making it again today for a dinner party this evening...I WILL be wearing gloves while shopping the jalepenos!! OUCH!

    ReplyDelete