Search This Blog

Monday, February 22, 2010

Stir-Fried Shrimp with Bacon, Mint and Chiles

As I write the title I am reminded why I love this recipe so much.  Key words being "stir-fried", "bacon" and "chiles", three of my favorites.  It also reminds me of one of the best dishes at one of my favorite restaurants, the firecracker shrimp at Betelnut Restaurant in San Francisco.  It is Asian Fusion at it's best and there is always a line.  There are so many good choices it's always hard to decide what to order, but I would always get the firecracker shrimp.  It was stir-fried as well with lots of hot peppers, although it didn't have bacon.
Actually if I hadn't had the firecracker shrimp before and this one didn't have "stir-fried" in the title I'm not sure I would even think it was Asian.  I guess it isn't necessarily but anytime I hear "stir-fry" I picture an enormous wok over a hot flame and an Asian chef, but maybe it's just me... Can you stir-fry something and have it not be Asian?  Regardless, the bacon also throws me off here, and there's white wine.  I mean I don't know that much about authentic Asian cooking but I am pretty sure bacon and white wine aren't exactly the prominent ingredients.  But I have to say they work here, whether Asian or not.  I made it with rice, but then realized that I wasn't sure it needed it.  It was fine on it's own and didn't really have quite enough sauce to coat the rice.  It was more stealing the tiny bit of sauce for the rice when I'd rather just keep it on the shrimp.  (You know how I get stingy about my sauce.)  I do think this works really well with an Asian fusion type menu though.  We made it with some Szechuan type green beans and brown rice and those two went together quite well although I think this could also pair with a non-Asian side.
The first time I made it, it was SPICY, the second and third time not nearly as much.  Partly I'm sure this is due to the fact that no two peppers are the same, some are spicier than others but I also think it was due to how much I cooked the peppers.  Similar to garlic, raw peppers are much more potent.  So keep that in mind as you make it, if you like it hot, cook the peppers less.
It's especially nice for a busy night as it cooks so quickly.  Most shrimp recipes do, but this one was written up as one of the 30 best fast recipes ever in Food & Wine.  And if you needed another reason, the ingredient list is rather short.  I didn't often used to cook with shrimp but now I will cook with it at least every couple of weeks, as it is so versatile and quick to make.   I love the combination of the smoky bacon, the spicy pepper and the freshness of the mint.  Asian or not, it's a favorite of mine.
Trish's Tips:  For a spicier stir-fry, slice the peppers extra thin and add with the wine.  Err on the side of slightly underdone with the shrimp, as they will continue to cook when you add the wine.  You definitely want your shrimp done, but not overdone.  Then it will be rubbery.

Stir-Fried Shrimp with Bacon, Mint and Chiles
Adapted from Food & Wine Magazine September 2008

Ingredients:
2 tsp canola oil
1/4 lb thickly sliced bacon, cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 serrano chiles, sliced into thin rounds
1 lb shelled and deveined large shrimp
salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup dry white wine
6 TBL chopped mint

Directions:  Toss the shrimp in a bowl with salt and pepper.  In a large skillet, heat the oil.  Add the bacon and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until most of the fat has been rendered.  Cook until it is underdone to your liking as it will continue to cook with the shrimp.  Spoon off all but 1 TBL of the fat from the skillet.  Add the garlic and peppers and stir-fry until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Add the shrimp and cook on each side for about 1-2 minutes or until shrimp are pink and curled.  Add the wine and cook until nearly evaporated, about 1 minute.  Remove the pan from heat and stir in the mint.  Transfer to plates and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment