Search This Blog

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Broiled Salmon with Herb Mustard Glaze

I really didn't know much about salmon until at least a few years ago.  I grew up eating whitefish and migrated to ordering other light, flaky types of fish like halibut in restaurants.  When cooking at home I even branched out to doing something other than frying it, like when I made fish tacos.  But salmon just kind of was a mystery to me.  I wasn't sure what to do with the skin, which always seemed to be still attached when I ordered it at a restaurant.  I wondered, do you eat it; or rather should you eat it?  If I don't eat it is it like leaving the crust from your pizza or eating around the crust of a sandwich?  Or would it be weird if I did eat it?  Based on all of this, the first couple of times I made it I decided I definitely wanted it sans-skin.  But then wondered if it was weird to ask the fish guy to take off the skin just because it weirds me out?  Or will I seem like a rookie if I do?  It was really just easier to not make it.  Plus you add the whole cooking it rare thing which also really weirds me out.  Which is odd because I like sushi, but mostly when I eat fish I want it cooked or raw, not in between.  I don't want seared tuna; I want it completely raw or else out of a can mixed with mayo.  (I know, I really can go both ways, right?  Gourmet and cheap tastes all wrapped up in one.)

Well eventually I got over all of it.  I liked it and knew that there were so many health benefits to eating it.  So I bought my salmon with the skin on, don't eat the skin (although I still can't tell you what the 'proper' way is, just that I know others that do this too, so that makes me feel better about it) and I cook it until it is still moist, but flaky.  And if you are wondering, the skin is edible, the scales are not, but I cook it with the skin on then just don't eat it and leave it on my plate.  So after all that, this was probably the first recipe that I experimented with salmon and I have made it many times since then.  And even if you aren't a salmon lover, or a fish lover you could make this with another type of meat.  I've used chicken before.
Like most things, I prefer having a sauce or something extra than just the meat, salt and pepper.  And this has a very flavorful sauce that you spoon over the top and after cooking it almost makes a crust.  I was quite heavy handed with the sauce (I know you are not surprised) but you can adjust as needed.
I used to not be a huge mustard fan, but I've evolved.  This sauce has a combination of a two mustards combined with some fresh herbs, garlic and white wine and the combination with the salmon is perfect.
The other plus to this recipe is that it can be prepared in a snap.  Fish of course cooks quickly and you could prepare the mustard sauce ahead of time if needed.  Could be a perfect one for entertaining, as it is also very elegant.  So, now that we got the rules of salmon cooking/eating out of the way, you really have no excuses not to try.
Trish's Tips:  Similar to cooking meat, the cooking times here will vary depending on the size and thickness of your fish.  To check if fish is done, just check if it flakes with a fork.  In fact you only see one piece of salmon here in the final picture because the other one I accidentally tore in two while checking to see if it was done.  If you don't like salmon or fish you could try this with something else.  Johnny was anti-salmon for a while so I would make salmon for me and chicken for him.  If you do make it with meat, I would probably just pan sear it first though then broil very quickly to get the crust.  

Broiled Salmon with Herb Mustard Glaze
Adapted from (you guessed it) Giada De Laurentiis

Ingredients:
1 garlic clove
3/4 tsp fresh rosemary leaves
3/4 tsp fresh thyme leaves
2 TBL Dijon mustard
2 TBL whole grain or stone ground mustard
1 TBL dry white wine
4- 6 to 8 oz wild Alaskan salmon fillets
non-stick olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper
4 lemon wedges, for serving

Directions:
Put garlic clove in mini food processor and pulse.  Add white wine, rosemary, thyme, dijon mustard and half of the whole grain mustard.  Grind until combined.  Add the remaining 1 TBL of whole grain mustard and pulse until just combined.  Set aside.  

Put salmon fillets on sheet pan coated with olive oil spray skin side down and sprinkle salt and pepper on top.  Broil for 2 minutes.  Remove pan from oven and spoon sauce on top.  Broil for 5 minutes longer or until salmon is done.  Check it at the 2-3 minute mark and watch closely as the sauce will blacken.   If that starts to happen turn your oven off broil and put at 400 until fish is done.  

Serve with lemon wedges.  



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this - I have a giant bag of frozen salmon and no idea what to do with it. Question - they always wrap the fish in foil or parchment paper on cooking shows before cooking. Is that necessary or just for baking, not broiling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of people wrap it because fish in general is very delicate, especially if grilling, but definitely not necessary and in fact I've never wrapped mine. Also some wrap it to kind of steam it, but that wouldn't be good for this recipe as you want the crust. If you are worried about it sticking, you can cook on aluminum foil (without wrapping around tho), but I figure why waste the aluminum foil, just be generous with the cooking spray/oil. Thanks for the question. I hope it turns out! Let me know!

    ReplyDelete