Search This Blog

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Guacamole




I can't believe I lived almost the first 20 years of my life without Guacamole seeing as it is now one of my all-time favorite dips.  I told you about my aversion to guacamole and my only exposure to it being the green goo that came out of guns at Taco Bell in my Guacamole Salad post.  Mostly I think I managed to live so long without even really trying it was because growing up it just never appeared on any menu.  A Mexican menu growing up most certainly meant ground beef with taco seasoning in a 'hard shell' as my mom called it and some Pace Picante, but never, ever guacamole.  Now I'm not knocking it.  Taco's certainly make an appearance on our table quite often, it's just that now, they are accompanied by some Guac.   And outside of home, there wasn't really a good Mexican restaurant where I grew up, so sadly, my only exposure to guacamole or even avocados in any form was Taco Bell.  People always talked about avocado green, mostly when describing outdated appliances, but I didn't have a clue...




And then I moved to California and... fell... in... love... with Mexican food and Guacamole.  This is the perfect recipe on a hot day with a margarita.  It has a bit of spice from the jalapeno, some tang from the lime and I like mine a bit chunky so you can actually tell it's real guacamole.  No guns allowed...




I initially came across this recipe from a friend who also introduced me to the Molcajete.  If you do not have one it is a rather minor investment for some seriously good guacamole.  It's made of volcanic stone and is basically a very coarse over-sized mortar and pestle.  You grind the jalapeno, lime, salt, cilantro and onion so it ends up as an almost paste and infuses the guacamole with the flavors.  So rather than just biting into a chunk of onion you instead have an even distribution of flavor.  Kind of like the difference between a pico de gallo and a smooth salsa.  I highly recommend it, but if you don't have one I would instead mince these ingredients, then mash them with a potato masher.  You'll get more of a blended flavor this way.




So you probabaly hate me with all of your healthy new years resolutions for posting this guacamole recipe to be served with (gasp!) chips.  But actually if I have my choice I love to throw some tortillas over a gas burner, (no pan or anything, just throw it on there) until they have lightly blackened, then tear some off and scoop up the Guac.  Definitely diet-friendly....

Trish's Tips:  Feel free to make this recipe your own.  I ended up throwing even more jalapeno in and more cilantro.   Also consider adding garlic.  I was on the fence whether I wanted to add it.  As always, leave the seeds out of the jalapeno if you want it a bit milder.  Food Network has taught me that the easiest way to cut an avocado is to slice it crosswise both ways then scoop out with a spoon.  Look at the below photo.  I think the best way to remove seeds from the tomato is cut it lengthwise then use your thumb to scoop out the seeds and juices.  Otherwise it will make your Guacamole much more watery.







Guacamole

Ingredients:
3 ripe Avocados
1-2 Jalapenos, diced
1/4 C diced Red Onion
1/4 C plus 2 TBL chopped Cilantro, separated
1 tsp kosher salt
Juice of 1/2 Lime (about 2 TBL)
1 plum tomato, diced

Directions:

In the bowl of a Molcajete, mash together jalapeno, red onion, 1/4 C cilantro, lime juice and salt.  Mash until all ingredients look more like a paste with no recognizable chunks.  Add avocados and gently mash to desired consistency.  Add diced tomato and remaining 2 TBL of cilantro.  Season to taste with salt.

1 comment:

  1. I am loving your blog! You're writing style totally reflects the real YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete