Search This Blog

Monday, January 11, 2010

Fregola Salad with Fresh Citrus and Red Onion




I have been patiently waiting all fall for citrus to be in season to make this salad.  I fell in love with it last winter and made it quite frequently.  Sometimes just for a light lunch, sometimes as a side dish for entertaining and once for a potluck for a volunteer meeting for a bunch of foodies and it was a hit.  This time of year I think everyone can have a tendency to eat heavy dishes because that's what we all crave, but this is a great break from that cycle, or at least a light salad to even out what would otherwise be a heavy meal.




This recipe is one of Giada's, (I say it like we're on a first name basis) who as you know is one of my favorites.  Her most recent cookbook is, I think, her best yet.  In fact I can't wait for grilling season to begin to tell you about another one of my favorite salads, but you'll I'll just have to wait.  One more reason to look forward to warmer weather.




I do love when all of the citrus is in season.  She doesn't call for it, but I used blood oranges in this recipe because I think they are gorgeous.  They look like a regular orange on the outside, but are a bit smaller and should be labeled at the grocery store.  I love how each one is different with deeper hues of magenta.  By comparison, they make regular oranges seem so boring.  And I can't stop buying and snacking on the little 'box of cuties' or clementines and for the last month or so have two or so a day.   I think my favorite though, if I can find them, is the cutest one of all, kumquats.  There was a place in San Francisco that would make a seasonal kumquat martini that was delish.  They would also be great in here, (the kumquat, not the martini) but I didn't see them at the store.  I also love to throw them on a spinach salad with a light citrus vinaigrette.




As the name suggests, this recipe calls for Fregola, and although I live in somewhat of a foodie city and have access to a wide variety of stores, I have a hard time finding it, although I have been accused of being a "bad looker".  I found Israeli Couscous at Trader Joes and have only ever made it with that.  Compared to her picture in the book it looks about the same, although apparently Fregola has a nuttier flavor.  If you have a hard time finding Fregola or Israeli Couscous, then just try any small shaped pasta.  Orzo would do, and I've also seen a pasta that De Cecco makes called "Acini di pepe" that I think would work well too.  Basically just something small, but no matter what you use, it will be delicious.




I don't think my pictures do this salad justice, but it is a gorgeous salad.  Such bright colors on what can be a dark dreary day.




Trish's Tips:  Aside from my remarks above, I think I would pretty much just make as is.  To toast any seeds just put in a dry pan over low heat until they are fragrant and slightly golden.  Have you ever segmented an orange like this?  Look at the pictures to hopefully give you an idea.  It's also described below.  I did the grapefruit first then cut all of the segments in half lengthwise so there was more to go around, but you're probably not as anal as I am, so whatever works for you.

Fregola Salad with Fresh Citrus and Red Onion
4 to 6 Servings
Adapted from Giada de Laurentiis

Ingredients:

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups water
1 lb fregola pasta or Israeli Couscous
2 blood oranges (or regular oranges if you can't find)
1 grapefruit
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/3 cup chopped mint leaves
1/3 cup chopped basil leaves
1/2 TBL fennel seeds, lightly toasted (optional)
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

Make orange oil by zesting one blood orange and mixing the zest with the olive oil.  Set aside.  In a large saucepan bring the chicken broth and water to a boil over high heat.  Add the fregola/Israeli Couscous and cook until tender, but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes.  (If using another kind of pasta, follow the package directions for timing) Drain the pasta and dump it onto a large baking sheet.  Spread it out and let cool for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, segment the oranges.  On a cutting board, first cut off the top and bottom of the fruit.  You should see a bit of the colored inside on the skin and no white pith where you just cut.  Then place the citrus on it's now flat bottom and cut off the skin and white pith, curving your knife with the shape of the fruit, being careful to not remove too much of the colored inside.  Now hold the fruit in your hand over a large bowl and carefully cut in between each membrane with your other hand and let the segment fall into a bowl while also catching the juices.  When you have removed all segments, squeeze the remaining membrane in your fist to make sure you catch all the juices.  Repeat with remaining orange and grapefruit.

When the fregola/couscous is finished cooling put in large bowl and pour the orange oil over, add citrus and remaining juices, red onion, mint, basil, fennel seeds (if using), salt and pepper.  Toss together and serve.  Will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I ate 3 cuties today...so glad they are in season, they are my favorite and I actually hate fruit so for me chose to eat any fruit is kind of a big event in my life!
    Anyway, you know how I need to be baby stepped through the process...so with the orange and grapefruit you peel and then take each individual section and then cut it in half? I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete